Guess what.


You know that fear that torments you? That obsession you can't get rid of? That guilt- actual or, just as likely for scrupers, imaginary- that gnaws at you in the night?

It was part of what Jesus took to the cross with Him. He engaged there in life-and-death combat.

Christ is risen. He won. And that means that it lost. 

He won.

You won.

And no struggle, no sin, no guilt-real or imagined- can ever separate you from Him if you simply hang on to Easter.

He is hanging onto you- and He won't let you go.

I've handled this dialog from both sides of the altar rail. I did it again this morning from the pew.

 Congregation:
Almighty God, Merciful Father, I, a poor, miserable sinner, confess to you all the sins and iniquities with which I have ever offended you and justly deserved Your temporal and eternal punishment. But I am heartily sorry for them and sincerely repent of them, and I pray You of Your boundless mercy to be gracious and merciful to me, a poor, sinful being.

 Pastor:
Upon this your confession, I, a called and ordained servant of the Word, announce to you the grace of God, and in the stead and by the command of my Lord Jesus Christ, I forgive you all of your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of + the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Jesus said in so many words that those His Church has called to speak such words speak them with His authority. Those are powerful words the pastor speaks. Never in my life have I spoken words that brought me such joy or heard words that brought me such comfort.  And they require nothing but an acknowledgment that one is a sinner, that one has a need that only God's mercy can fill.

No details are needed. There is nothing left for you to do. There are no hoops to be jumped through. There is no paperwork, no final details, no last little bit that you have to do. Just the One Who said, "Let there be..." and brought the universe into being in the mere saying.

And He says that you are forgiven
. Who are you to argue with Him? And why in the world would you want to?  Jesus conquered your sin, your guilt, and your fears when He rose from the grave. He says in your baptism that you are His. He says through His Gospel that everyone who brings their guilt to Him is forgiven, that everyone who brings their inadequacy to Him is made whole, and that everyone who brings their fear to Him is in His faithful care.

And there's not a darned thing your sin, your broken brain, your OCD, death, or even Satan himself can do about it.

Christ is risen! Alleluia! He is risen indeed! Alleluia!



Comments

Post a Comment